The American Literary Translators Association is delighted to present Flash Sessions for Editors and Translators at our 41st annual conference.
Interested translators will have the chance to discuss a short sample of their work with an editor from prominent publications, such as Open Letter Books, Words Without Borders, Graywolf Press, The Common, The Kenyon Review, Amazon Crossing, Tupelo Press, and more. Translators will be paired with a participating editor for a 10-15 minute mini-meeting to receive feedback on up to two pages of their work or a query letter. Translators are also welcome to submit guiding questions for specific feedback.
Applications will open on Tuesday August 28, 2018 and will close at 11:59pm EST on Friday September 27, 2018.
To be considered for a consultation, please submit the following information and materials in a SINGLE document file:
- Your name, email address, and a 50 word (maximum) translator biography.
- Your preference for editor area-of-expertise (poetry, prose, non-fiction, or query letters).
- Up to 2 specific questions for the editor about the material (ex. “Is this pacing effective?” or “What do you think of this phrasing?”). General inquiries (ex. “How can I get published?”) will not be permitted.
- Up to 2 double spaced pages of translated material to discuss with the editor (10 minutes goes by quickly. We suggest 2 double-spaced pages of prose or 1 single-spaced page of poetry).
- For traditional work, please format the document in a standard way (double-spaced, 1" margins, 12 pt. Arial, Times New Roman, or another standard legible font). Of course, typographically experimental work is also welcome.
- A one-page query letter pitching a translation to a publication.
- PLEASE NOTE: This is not meant as a pitch to the editor you will be paired with, but an opportunity to receive feedback from an editor about how to approach a publication with a translation.
- Please format the document in a standard way (double-spaced, 1" margins, 12 pt. Arial, Times New Roman, or another standard legible font).
Submission files must meet the following formatting specifications:
- Microsoft Word file type (.doc or .docx) or Adobe PDF (.pdf)
Note: if the number of applicants exceeds the number of available time slots, consultations will be awarded with preference to current ALTA members and by date of submission (first-come, first-serve).
Translators selected for a consultation are strongly encouraged to make a donation of $10 to ALTA to support future programming. You can make your donation by visiting https://alta.z2systems.com/np/clients/alta/donation.jsp.